JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -
A 12-year-old boy accused of killing his 2-year-old half brother will not accept a plea deal offered by prosecutors, his attorney said.
Cristian Fernandez, 12, was charged with murder in connection with the death of the toddler earlier this year.
Prosecutors said the plea deal would have reduced the charge from first-degree murder to second-degree murder.
It also would have allowed the boy to be released when he turned 21 years old and to serve his time in a juvenile facility.
Public Defender Matt Shirk said the plea deal wasn't good enough.
"We’re going to continue to negotiate with the state," Shirk said. "We’re not going to cut all negotiations off. Like in any case, you continue to negotiate until a jury has reached a verdict."
Prosecutor Mark Caliel said he felt like they made enough concessions.
Caliel said the decision to offer Fernandez a plea deal was not related to public outcry after the state attorney's office decided to try Fernandez as an adult.
The plea agreement is expected to be formally rejected at his next pretrial hearing on Monday.Link to story and video